When you start using affirmations it’s natural to use ones that other people have created. As you progress, however, you’ll find that you get more benefit from creating your own.
When you write your own affirmations they take on more of your own energy and are more attuned to your individual goals.
There is a definite process to writing affirmations. Follow these seven rules and you will find yourself writing affirmations that resonate with your energy in no time.
1. Make it personal. Affirmations are all about you, so make sure you write them in the first person.
eg. “I AM having an incredible day today!”
2. Write in the present tense. It’s important to stay in the present moment when you write affirmations. Even if you’re working toward a goal for the future, the affirmation you write or say today is all about changing how you feel at this moment in time.
eg. “I AM feeling relaxed.”
3. Keep it simple. One line affirmations work best because they keep you focused on the target.
eg. “I AM calm.”
eg. “I feel great!”
4. Keep it positive. Affirmations are meant to help you make positive changes in your life. Avoid using negative words in your statements.
eg. “I AM beautiful!”
(as opposed to “I AM not overweight.”)
5. Be realistic. Make sure that the affirmations you write are something you can believe in. If you choose something unrealistic, you won’t believe in it, and your subconscious will ignore it.
6. Write with emotion! Pour as much emotion into your affirmations as you possibly can. The more excited and happy you are to accomplish your goal, the more positive energy will flow through your words.
7. Find your own style. Keeping all of the tips I’ve mentioned in mind, it’s important that you write your affirmations in a way that resonates with you.
And now, a few more tips…
Now that you’ve got the hang of writing affirmations, it’s time to put your new skill into practice.
Write your affirmations out every day. You can put them into a journal, or write them on index cards, or even just on little scraps of paper that you keep in your pocket.
My favorite method is a combination of a journal and sticky notes that I put up above my monitor so that they’re in my line of sight when I’m working.
Say your affirmations out loud after you have written them down. This infuses them with even more of your energy and helps to make them more real.
And finally, don’t be afraid to change your affirmations whenever you need to. You are always growing and changing, so it only makes sense that your affirmations should grow and change with you.
Learning how to write affirmations is a skill everyone should develop. They help to keep you in a more positive frame of mind, and can be a big help in keeping you focused on achieving your goals.